[birdky] RPT: Hardin County waterbirds

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:16:51 -0400

Paul Lehman and I visited the vicinity of Cecila in western Hardin
County this morning. Paul hung around long enough to see some Sandhill
Cranes and headed west towards the dams (report to follow). I looked
around on some of the area's sinkhole ponds for waterfowl for awhile
before heading back east.  Highlights:

14 species of waterfowl around Cecilia, most on a very nice pond on the
west side of KY 1375 near the western end of Tabb Road. This pond has
had a nice collection of birds but today's outdid previous counts with
the following:

Gadwall 2
Amer Wigeon 4
Am Black Duck 4
Mallard 25+
No Shoveler 10-12
Green-wg Teal 20-25
Redhead 55+
Ring-necked Duck 30+
Lesser Scaup 15-20
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER (at least 3! ... and maybe a 4th .. diving
constantly)
Bufflehead 2
American Coot 35-40+

Over the course of an hour or so I saw at least 175 Sandhill Cranes
including an injured bird at the roosting pond on the north side of KY
86. The only non-snipe/killdeer shorebird I saw was a Greater
Yellowlegs.

At Freeman Lake, there was a raft of 155+ divers that were mostly
Ring-necked Ducks but also contained Lesser Scaup, Redheads, and Ruddy
Ducks. Seems like there might have been a pretty good fallout of
waterbirds last night. Four nice alternate plumaged Common Loons were
still there.

In the dim light of dawn, Paul and I heard a Wilson's Snipe "winnowing"
over the field north of the fire station along KY 86! This is only the
second time I've heard this courtship "call" (actually wind going thru
the outer tail feathers) here in KY.

On my way back to Elizabethtown I noticed a Eurasian Collared-Dove right
in Cecilia ... it was gathering sticks and taking them to its mate at a
nest being built about 20 feet up in a bare red maple!

bpb, Frankfort