[birdky] RPT: Bernheim and southern Warren Co. Jan 30 2005

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:00:45 -0500

Our BBC/KOS trip to Bernheim Forest yesterday, January 30th, was attended by
more than 20 folks, but conditions couldn't have been much worse for seeing
some of the area's Golden and Bald eagles (cloudy, pretty calm with low
ceiling and hazy fog). We were fortunate to at least get some great looks at
an adult Bald Eagle. Otherwise things were pretty slow with additional
highlights being limited to nice views of a few adult Red-shouldered Hawks
and 9 Purple Finches.

In the afternoon, Ben Yandell and I made a quick trip south to run by the
various transient ponds in southern Warren County. Our list read much like
Dave's post for recent days there with the following highlights: the same
Mute Swans continuing along Homer Murray Road and at Petros Pond; 2 Greater
White-fronted Geese at Walton's Pond; 9 species of ducks highlighted by 4
Northern Shovelers at the pond on Homer Murray Road and 20 Redheads and 12
Canvasbacks at Petros Pond; about 250 Sandhill Cranes on the ground in a
corn stubble field along Vance Road (near back side of Chaney Lake); a
couple of hundred Rusty Blackbirds singing away in the woods at Chaney Lake;
and immense flocks of field birds in the ag fields surrounding McElroy Lake
including 25+ American Pipits; 100-125+ Lapland Longspurs; and hundreds of
Horned Larks; and a lonely little Palm Warbler near the culvert on KY 884 at
McElroy.

bpb, Louisville