[birdky] Ballard WMA

  • From: "Record, D. Scott" <DSRecord@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:15:29 -0600

Falling river levels and the end of waterfowl season seems to have
concentrated more birds on and around BWMA and viewing is much easier
now.  Highlights from today include

Bald eagle-  4   Feeding on a coyote on Smokey road (this is the only
thing I have ever seen eat a coyote!)  I have seen eagles concentrated
in this area before and have also seen a lot of dead coyotes left in
this area.  Perhaps this is what is drawing them?

Canada goose  -  500 +
Cackling goose  -  1
Wht-fr goose  -  150  +
Mallard  - 1000  +
Black duck -  4
Gadwall   -  50  +
Shoveler  -  1
Hooded Merg  -  6
Ring-n duck  -  6
Eur collared dove -  5
Horned lark  -  75 +
Shrike  -  1

The five Eur collared doves were picking gravel in a driveway on Smokey
road with about a dozen morning doves.  They flew up into a maple tree
and at first were mixed in with the morning doves.  Interestingly, they
quickly segregated into two specie flocks on opposite sides of the tree.
The Cackling goose was seen with about 300 Canada geese and Wht frnts in
the green field right between the front slough and Shelby lake farms.

Scott Record
Ragland KY