[birdky] RFI: Birch Seeds

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:55:16 -0500

There has been a lot of discussion on the Pennsylvania Birds Listserv
about common redpolls feeding on birch tree seeds.  Black birch (Betula
lenta) seems to be the most popular with the birds followed by river
birch (B. nigra) according to some of the posts.  I was wondering if any
Ky birders had observed birds feeding on birch seeds?  Along similar
lines, I noticed a group of migrating warblers gleaning insects from
black birch trees on Pine Mountain back in early October at Kingdom Come
State Park.  One poster to the PA List commented that black birch leaves
harbor lots of aphids and are therefore attractive to the birds.  Please
share any and all bird/birch interactions.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County