[birdky] RPT: Red-headed woodpeckers - Rowan County

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:15:51 -0500

I visited a friend at Lake Leuman in north-central Rowan County
yesterday (Saturday, Dec. 8).  There were 4 red-headed woodpeckers on
the oaks around his cabin at the lake.  The bumper crop of white oak
acorns littering his driveway is probably the reason they are spending
the winter.  I have heard red-headed woodpeckers in 2 additional
locations in Rowan County this fall prior to this observation.  The
white oaks did well in this county.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County