[birdky] RECENT OBSERVATIONS

  • From: "Record, D. Scott" <DSRecord@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:50:26 -0600

High water over the loop at BWMA has limited my observations this past
week but a few highlights from the refuge and surrounding areas include:

Jan 18

Gr. wht-fr goose  6
Can goose 200
Wood duck  1
Gadwall 15
Mallard  200
Shoveler  6
Pintail  8
Gr-w teal  2
Hooded Merg  2
Gb heron  1
Bald eagle  6
N Harrier  1
Sh-sh Hawk  1(McC co)
Red-sh Hawk  1
Red-tailed  (dark morph Harlan's)
Kestrel  10
Horned lark  50 +
L. shrike  2 (McC/Bal)
Purple finch  (McC co)

Jan 23

Can goose 300
Gadwall  30
shoveler  6
Ring-n duck  4
Hooded merg  1
Pied-b grebe  1
Red sh hawk 1
Red tailed hawk  4 (including Harlan's)
Kestrel 4
Purple finch(McC)

The Harlan's was photographed on the 18th but wouldn't cooperate today.
I have found this bird twice in the same tree so it seems to be hanging
around.  This bird is located just north/northeast of the tower at
Monkey's Eyebrow on Rudolph road.  Travel about 3/4 mile down Rudolph
road and there is an old milk barn and grain silo on the right.  The
bird has been seen in a large oak tree on the opposite side of the road.
There was also a dark morph western type redtail in this general area a
couple of weeks ago.

Scott Record
Ragland KY