[birdky] Re: POSSIBLE WHOOPING CRANES in Hart County !

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: kistlers@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:01:37 -0500

Steve (and all),

I could be wrong, but what I have always taken to be young Sandhills have a
call that is quite different from the adults, a much higher pitched wail.
When I hear the young and adults calling back and forth in a flock, I think
of the contrasting calls of adult and young Caspian Terns when they come
through in fall, a deep call from the adults and a shrill reply from the
young. A few times at night I have heard these higher pitched calls be more
predominant than the normal gutteral roll.  It could be that you heard this
quite dissimilar call???

(Having just read thru the BNA account, no mention is made of young giving
this call, but it is quite different and perhaps a variation of a "purr"
mentioned there . . . I need to read up some more :o).

I would also like to ask folks who observe passing flocks of cranes this
fall to look for ones that are flying with their legs tucked up underneath
their body.  A few may recall that I saw this behavior late last fall and I
am wondering how common it is.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball AT mail.state.ky.us