[birdky] POSSIBLE WHOOPING CRANES in Hart County !

  • From: "Kistlers" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bird line" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:13:06 -0600

    This evening, Sunday, Nov 16th, my wife was watching a video concerning
whooping cranes that she has been sharing with her third grade class. Just
Friday one of the migration support team came to her school to show slides
about the ultra-lite led trip south.  A few minutes before 10 pm CST we heard
some loud calls and ran out the back door. The birds were easy to hear in the
darkness above our house. The calls were loud and clear, reminiscent of geese
but higher pitched. Clearly they were not sandhill cranes. I could not find
this particular call on the whooping crane partnership website
http://www.bringbackthecranes.org/index.html , but it sounded very much like
the calls on the video we have. We rewound it and played it a few times. It was
a very good match, to my ears.
    I understand of course that this does not constitute a positive ID of the
birds, but this is the third year the eastern flock is migrating south, and it
will become increasingly likely that we will hear and see these birds in
Kentucky. Keep your eyes on the sky and sleep with the windows open !
Steve Kistler