[birdky] Blood River, Jonathan Creek & the dams

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:30:15 EST

Blood River was a good place to start the day.  Melissa Easley met up with me
at Jonathan Creek and we continued to the dams.  Duck populations are
increasing.  The three common species of gulls were plentiful but nothing else
caught
our eyes.
Highlights were:
Common Loon -3 KY Lake
Horned Grebe -24 KY Lake
Snow Geese -3 BR
Green-winged Teal- many BR & JC
Northern Shoveler-many BR & JC
Gadwall-  BR & JC
Bufflehead -2 KY Lake
Hooded Merganser - 8KY Lake
Ruddy Duck-60 JC
Bald Eagle-1 BR
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2BR
Western Sandpiper- 4 JC
Least Sandpiper -BR & JC
Dunlin- BR & JC
Wilson's Snipe-2JC
Forster's Tern-JC & KY Marina
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- BR
Brown Creeper-1JC
Eastern Bluebirds-everywhere
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Two coyotes were out for their morning stroll at Blood River.  It surprised
me to see the Great Blue Herons pay no attention as they walked past.  They
squawk and fly away when people get close.
Hap Chambers
Murray, KY