[birdky] Possible Whooping Cranes

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:26:13 -0800 (PST)

I have seen many flocks of Sandhill Cranes the past
couple of weeks during my almost daily birding of
Barren Reservoir in Barren and Allen Counties.  Today,
there were flocks either seen or heard most of the day
despite less than ideal migrating conditions.  No
flocks had more than 50 birds however.  One flock in
particular had several birds giving the higher pitched
call.  Although it is quite different than their usual
trumpeting, I still perceive it as a trill.

I heard a flock of Snow Geese fly over Bowling Green
last Wednesday night, and wonder if their higher
pitched honking may be what Steve heard.  Also, Tundra
Swans have been recorded in good numbers to our north
the past couple of weeks and this could also be a
possibility.

Numbers of migrants have been low on Barren since the
fallout of waterbirds previously reported.  Nice birds
beeing seen regularly are Dunlin, Bonaparte's Gulls,
Bald Eagles, and expected waterfowl species including
8 Snow Geese on the 14th.

A Pine Siskin was present at my thistle feeder this
morning, and the flock of Chipping Sparrows remains
although the number of birds has dwindled.

dave