[birdky] Re: GPS receiver

  • From: "bennetts" <bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 21:52:00 -0500

Ken and others:

I have a Garman E-trex, a very basic model.  It has no mapping functions nor
does it have the capability to map.  I consider it to be a novelty toy more
than a birding tool as most KY birders do not yet use these.

The potential for use is good, if birders would adopt this standard.  Rather
than trying to give complex directions to a site, you could give the county,
road name, crude directions, the GPS coordinates and take anyone with a unit
to within 20 - 30 feet of the location of an observation.

It could also have application for hiking off trails, as it will keep a
crude, but usable route map of your walking and could be used to get
yourself back to a starting point, if needed.  Other features are also a
possibility such as marking predetermined locations for re-finding.  Could
be useful for refinding an exact location in an area such as Peabody where
one 20 square foot plot pretty much looks like the next 20 square foot plot.

Beyond these uses, the novelty of being able to determine your exact
location on earth is kind of cool.  I also enjoy measuring elevations of
various sites.

For birding purposes, I cannot imagine a need for anything above the most
basic models.  While I am happy with mine, I use it only a little and it has
limited application due to the low use rate among KY birders.  I expect that
within 5 years, if not sooner, it will be the standard for reporting bird
locations away from established birding locations, however.

I hope this helps and would love to hear from others on this topic.

Mark Bennett
Russellville, KY
Logan County
bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx