[birdky] Fw: Location of snow buntings in Boone county?

  • From: joe.pulliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 23:13:36 +0000

Thanks Lee. I thought it might be in the area around Petersburg.

By combining the data from eBird with GoogleMap, it looks like there could be a
flock of snow buntings that winters in the valley of the Greater Miami river in
Southeast IN - Southwest Ohio. Since snow buntings like shoreline grain fields
and the winter colors suggest they would be camouflaged for the edge of the
snow line, I would guess this flock might regularly drop into KY near
Petersburg when a line of heavy snow goes through Southern IN.

Doreen and I dropped off a friend recently at the airport in Florence and drove
back to Lexington along the Ohio river on highways 8, 20 and 338. This is a
beautiful stretch of farmland I would highly recommend for a winter day trip of
birding. The mouth of the Greater Miami and the ponds near\across the Ohio
river from Petersburg have a number of geese and ducks. If you toss in Meldahl
or Markland dams for scoters as Brainard suggested, that makes for a very nice
day of birding.
Good birding,
Joe
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T