[birdky] RPT: Transient lakes and other locales ... March 16, 2008

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:54:45 -0400

Eddie Huber and visited the transient lakes near Woodburn in southern Warren
County today; on the way back we ran by Cecilia to see if any cranes remain and
Freeman Lake at Elizabethtown.

McElroy Lake -- I figured we'd run into a nice array of waterfowl in Warren
County, but shorebirds were our highlight ... 6 species at McElroy Lake
including at least 20 American Golden-Plovers, 100 Killdeer, 3 Greater
Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, groups of 6+9+16+2 Pectoral Sandpipers (maybe
more; hard to say what were repeats), and several Wilson's Snipe. The tinkling
calls of Horned Larks and American Pipits were constantly around us, and a few
migrant Tree Swallows flew past. One Horned Grebe was present and Green-winged
Teal and American Wigeon (about 20 each) were the most common ducks with no
divers observed.

Walton's Pond -- a bit more variety in the waterfowl line with a pair of
Northern Pintails, a drake Blue-winged Teal, and about 4 pairs of American
Black Ducks present among more common species.

Chaney Lake -- not many waterfowl, but we did add 3 more Blue-winged Teal, a
pair of Northern Shovelers, 40+ Ring-necked Ducks, several pairs of Hooded
Mergansers, and a female Lesser Scaup. A flock of 35-40+ Wilson's Snipe flew in
and landed while we were there.

Cecilia farmland, Hardin Co. -- we tallied 75-100 Sandhill Cranes in groups of
1 to about 50 at a half dozen sites in the vicinity. In with one flock of 20-25
birds was a leucistic adult bird that is probably the same "white" crane that
has been in the vicinity for several weeks. Heavy rains have filled many of the
small sinkholes and swales in the area, and waterfowl were scattered about here
with small numbers of at least 8 species seen.

Freeman Lake -- again, very few waterfowl with the highlight being 8
Red-breasted Mergansers; also present were 5 Horned Grebes still primarily in
basic plumage but at least 7 Common Loons in bright alternate plumage; two out
in the center of the lake verbally sparred a couple of times with some
beautiful wails that echoed across the lake.

bpb, Frankfort

From: lkmc9@xxxxxxx

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:41:29
To:joe.pulliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [birdky] Location of snow buntings in Boone county?

The longspurs and snow buntings were most often seen along KY 20 1-2 miles
southwest of Petersburg and also from Aurora Ferry Road which runs west to the
Ohio River from KY 20. Both are likely long gone by now.

Lee McNeely