[birdky] Feeding winter hummers

  • From: "Robert Morris" <bobmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:11:29 -0500

On Sunday there was an article about Hummingbirds and winter feeding,I thought
that it was a forgone conclusion that feed bird was not the reason these winter
Hummers stay, but that they may have gotten lost or strayed. I know that the
Ruby-throated will leave because the length of day triggers his migratory inner
patterns. If you keep food out for him or her they will still leave when it is
time for them to go food or no.
I know that some people have over wintered some of these mostly Rufous
Hummingbirds and it takes a lot of work to do it. They have to make special
conditions like heat on the feeder by using something like a light bulb on or
near the feeder. They enjoy the things they have to do. I think that the bird
will survive if the conditions are favorable for them. They will die if not. I
don't know if these birds are meant to come to our area or not but they are
here so I say go ahead and try to save them and enjoy them.
Bob Morris
Lexington, Ky.