[birdky] FYI: Wing-tagged Ring-billed Gulls

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:50:15 -0500

Thanks to John Castrale, with Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources, for
passing along the following information about wing-tagged Ring-billed
Gulls that have been reported in IN, MO, and recently at Markland Dam,
the Falls of the Ohio, and at Kentucky Dam in Kentucky.

bpb, Frankfort

We did band the patagial tagged ring-billed gulls. We marked these adult
gulls at Dime Pier in Chicago, Illinois sometime between the 1st and 9th
of May 2007. These birds are part of a study in which we marked a total
of 724 gulls in the Chicago area with either orange (150 tags), green
(202 tags), blue (222 tags) or yellow (150) wing tags to determine gull
movements in response to an egg oiling project. We wanted to learn if
gull behavior would be altered following egg oiling and if fewer gulls
would use Lake Michigan beaches. The project was done at the request of
the City of Chicago because avian fecal deposits are contributing to
increased E. coli levels in near-shore waters, causing swimming bans at
Chicago's Lake Michigan beaches. Should you or others spot any other
tagged birds we would appreciate acquiring the following information:

* Date and Time patagial tagged ring-billed gull was observed
* Color of patagial tag on ring-billed gull
* Whether it is an adult (after-hatch-year) or (hatch-year) gull, if the
observer can detect the age
* Location where patagial tagged ring-billed gull was observed (street
address and/or as specific as possible)
* Number of gulls observed with patagial tags at this location (and
colors of tags if multiple tagged birds were observed)
* Observer name and contact telephone number.

Wildlife Biologist Tom Seamans with USDA-Wildlife Services National
Wildlife Research Center has agreed to continue collecting the
observational data for us. It would be easiest for us if reports of
observations could be emailed to Mr. Seamans at:
thomas.w.seamans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:thomas.w.seamans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for your assistance.

Scott Beckerman
State Director, CWBUSDA-Wildlife Services
2869 Via Verde Drive
Springfield, IL 62703-4325
(217) 241-6700