[birdky] BKY: Surf Scoters in Louisville

  • From: patjanebell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (BirdKY)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:59:43 +0000

While birding on the Riverwalk this morning we noticed what appeared to be a log floating down the river.  It turned out to be five Surf Scoters, 1 male and 4 females.  The current was so fast it was hard to keep up with them as they drifted down the river.

Flying high above the river was an adult Bald Eagle.
Other birds of interest were -
 Broad-w Hawk
Ruby-thr. Hummingbird
White-eyed, Yellow-th., and Warbling Vireos
Golden-cr. and Ruby-cr. Kinglets
Wood Thrushes
Warblers - Nashville, Parula, Yellow-r., Black-thr. Green, Prairie, Worm-eating, and Yellow.
Swamp Sparrow

A Phoebe is calling outside and a Rose-br. Grosbeak is on the feeder as we prepare to send this email.

Our resident Rat Snake made its first appearance for 2009 in our back yard.  Blue Jays alerted us to its presence.

Pat and Jane Bell
Louisville