[birdky] RPT: Cerulean warblers - Elliott County

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:34:58 -0500

A couple ceruleans were singing and foraging on a hillside outside of Sandy
Hook in Elliott County.  One of the males was easily seen without the aid of
binoculars - which is always nice.  As far as habitat associations, the
forest on the south facing hillside of this ridgeline had been selectively
harvested in the past year.  The harvest was light though, such that gaps in
the forest canopy were limited to 1, 2 or 3 tree crowns in size.  There were
still plenty of big hickories and white oaks remaining.  The ceruleans were
foraging on the disturbed side of the hill.  The north side of the hill was
undisturbed and contained a mostly continuous canopy.  One of the hickories
on the north side was a good 36 inches in diameter.  A very impressive tree.
Wish I had a few like that growing in my yard.

Scott Freidhof

Rowan County