[birdky] BKY: RPT - miscellaneous observations

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:57:02 -0400

Sat, Sept 14, 2002: Roly Lloyd (Australian visitor), the Caminitis and I
birded the family farm in Jefferson Co., coming up with quite similar
results to Ben and Matt's birding at Caperton Swamp preserve the same day,
including an imm. female Black-throared Blue Warbler (must have been a
little wave!); otherwise, the dead and withering trees seemed to hold only
modest numbers of transient songbirds, and of the nine warbler species only
the American Redstart was noticeably numerous.

Roly needed a Sedge Wren for his life list, so we walked around the Indian
grass fields in search of the birds that have appeared to be on territory.
For the past two weeks, I've heard not so much as a peep from these guys who
were so vocal when they came in during August, and I worried that they might
not still be around.  We finally heard a few chip notes and walked closer to
get a look.  What we heard, however, were chips of a different pitch very
close to us and low in the grass.  After a little investigating, we found
that the chips were coming from tiny fledglings that had to have JUST
fledged recently.  We could hear at least three distinct young calling and
found one tiny fellow that barely had flight feathers and could have sat
comfortably on a quarter . . . REALLY neat!  The absence of singing males
suggests that they have abandoned the nesting areas, leaving the females to
raise the young.

At the Falls of the Ohio on the 14th, we had 7 spp of shorebirds highlighted
by 2 juvie Sanderlings.

Sept 15, 2002: Roly (who apparently is somewhat of a shorebird fanatic) and
I went in search of a few lifers for him on Sunday.  We found 12 spp of
shorebirds including his most prized target for the day, a Buff-breasted
that Hap helped us find at Jonathan Creek.  On the way, we got to see Hap's
two gorgeous Sabine's Gulls (which would make a gull lover out of even the
staunchest gull-a-phobics) and the adult Laugher.  We also looked for, but
did not see, any evidence of the family of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers below
Barkley Dam.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx