[birdky] Re: BKY: RFI -- book binding experiences

  • From: "Ian Stewart" <istew2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:12:53 -0400

Hi Brainard et al.

I don't have much experience in heavy reading of any book ( :) ), but in my=
 opinion, spiral bound types are very ugly and don't fit in well on my bo=
okshelf. I think the only reason they are beneficial is that you lay the =
book open and it stays open and completely flat - this is useful in circu=
mstances when you need to keep referring to it repeatedly in a short peri=
od of time. I don't think that this is what KOS folks would use it for ho=
wever.=20

I think most people peruse through a book like this casually, in the comfor=
t of their own homes. Hence it doesn't need to be particularly strong or =
weather resistant. I have now got a checklist on my shelf and i dip into =
it whenever I see a new bird for the season to see if it is common or unu=
sually early or whatever.

I suppose my eventual point is that I much prefer things to be book-like un=
less there is a strong reason for them not to be!  Other people may view =
this differently, and of course the cost of each may influence the decisi=
on.

Cheers
Ian
Ian Stewart