[birdky] BKY: Laurel County + McCreary Co Swainson's Warbler

  • From: "Roseanna" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BirdKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:20:42 -0400

I walked the section of the Sheltowee Trace Trail (accessed at the
junction of Hwy, 192 and 1193 in Laurel County) to Vanhook Falls
yesterday 6/21. It's a very pretty trail and the rhododendron and some
flame azalea were in bloom. Once away form the road a bit, the sound of
a gently flowing stream was my constant companion.

Selected birds seen or heard:
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1 feeding at the rhododendron flowers)
Downy Woodpecker 4 (1 young bird with red spot on top of its head)
Acadian Flycatcher 15
Eastern Phoebe 3
Wood Thrush 4
White-eyed Vireo 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Blue-headed Vireo 11
Red-eyed Vireo 18 (1 feeding a Brown-headed Cowbird chick)
Northern Parula 5
Black-throated Green Warbler 19
Yellow-throated Warbler 4
Pine Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Ovenbird 13 (with young unable to fly)
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
Kentucky Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
Hooded Warbler 15
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Scarlet Tanager 3

At the Mt. Victory Fired Dept. the Purple Martin colony was escorting a
Cooper's Hawk out of their space.

At Cumberland Falls on the Eagle Falls Trail in McCreary Co. today I saw
my first Swainson's Warbler for that area. It wasn't down in the
rhododendron, but up near the ridgetop! I saw it catch and carry an
insect into some mt. laurel, but then lost sight of it. The Eagle Falls
trail is a VERY scenic trail and a nice, cool place to spend a warm
afternoon, but be prepared for a lot of steps! At Eagle Falls there were
some bushes with white blooms that I thought might be azaleas, but I
don't remember seeing white ones in the wild before. Anyone have ideas
on what these were?

~Roseanna Denton
  Pulaski County, KY
roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx