[birdky] BKY: Cliff Swallows

  • From: "Roseanna" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BirdKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:00:07 -0400

I stopped at a Cliff Swallow colony at Buncombe Branch today to count
the nests. When I was by there a few days ago there were at least 25
birds flying back and forth under the bridge. I thought it was strange
that there weren't any birds flying around when I got there. I walked up
the branch and under the bridge and found out why. Someone had destroyed
ALL the nests. I could count 35 spots where nests had been. The nests
were over water, so there were no remains. I walked around to the dry
side of the bridge and found the stick they probably had used to tear
them down beside a fallen nest. The nest's contents, now only fragments
of eggshells, was scattered around it. I think this one was an Eastern
Phoebe's nest.

~Roseanna Denton
  Pulaski County, KY
roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx