[beports] Re: Changeset 60

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:48:10 -0700

Howdy,

Andreas Färber wrote:
Am 19.05.2008 um 18:04 schrieb Brecht Machiels:

As Andreas pointed out sometime ago, BepFiles only make sense for
releases, and not so much for trunk revisions. I suppose group porting
efforts will also focus on the trunk versions?

Either trunk or branches, yes; tags would also be an option. It should be decided from case to case.

Maintainers probably won't like it if changes are only submitted for some "old" branch but not for trunk, in most cases changes to branches would be backports from trunk. On the other hand, when we don't know a software too well, it may be better to port a stable branch first and only then check whether trunk works as well. It all depends.

I don't think there's any problem installing any VCS of our liking on
the new port.haiku-files.org server.

I'm still a little behind with my mail, so let me shoot from the top of my head:

I really welcome Koki's server offer, a big thank you. In addition to hopefully resolving the Trac issues I'd hope the Haiku domain will move the project even closer to the Haiku community at large. I just hope it'll still be considered okay to provide non-Haiku legacy information then.

As long as the legacy information is for the benefit of Haiku in some (even roundabout) way, then I suppose it is OK.

Personally, I would prefer not to see the subdomain become a place to support a few BeOS users for melancholy purposes. Don't get me wrong, I love(d) BeOS and I cherish our heritage; but we want to look to the future. Hopefully saying this does not get me into too much trouble. :)

In which way exactly do we have access to that server? Is there a user limit? Hosting writable repositories for distributed versioning systems in most cases requires SSH access for each contributor. Space could also become an issue since a distributed repository contains most of the history of the original one. Is the server running some Linux, so that we could easily install precompiled software and services?

I am afraid I can't answer your questions. For all I know, this is a shared hosting account that has very generous storage and bandwidth allowances, plus shell access. Beyond that, or to get access to the subdomain, you will have to talk to Axel; he is more knowledgeable and the current admin of this account now.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Koki

--