[beports] Re: Changeset 60

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:41:05 +0200

Hi,

Am 19.05.2008 um 00:53 schrieb Jonathon Freeman:

Ingo wrote:

That leads me to the next question: Is there a particular reason why only
diffs are stored in the repository? I was originally hoping for a
repository that actually stores the sources. This would be handy to work
with (i.e. store intermediate states) and would also facilitate group
porting efforts, which are pretty much inevitable for bigger projects.

I think this is a very excellent way of doing it. Not only is it pretty much necessary for group efforts, but it would make my own one-man efforts run a
little smoother I think.

Well, that's how MacPorts et al. do it, and it's easier to view the changes for visitors that way. BePorter needs patches in the end, but it can't to my knowledge cope with patches against repositories yet. So that's two different things anyway. It could be that there is an Assembla size limit. We wouldn't need to care if we do move the SVN to a Haiku server.

However for any group porting efforts I would prefer not to do that in SVN, it is possible with vendor branches but cumbersome. Git[1] and the like are much more suited for the task of maintaining and merging multiple distributed branches. (Speaking of which, I have submitted some patches to Niels for their Git "hack" branch but haven't received any feedback since then...) It might make sense to set up repositories on a project basis though. So, for porting SVN or CVS projects we might use Git (don't know Mercurial[2]/Bazaar[3] too well, but Git seems easier to use on Haiku for now with the others' dependency on Python); for a project using Git obviously use Git, for a project using Bazaar use Bazaar etc. Personally I have found Git to better handle merges than SVN/CVS but it seems to lack an equivalent to the svn copy operation for files. If we don't want to or can't host such repositories on our own server, for Git repo.or.cz would be an option, for Bazaar launchpad.net.

Anyway, +1 for using *some* distributed versioning system for group efforts.

Andreas

[1] http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts/wiki/dev-util/git
[2] http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts/wiki/dev-util/mercurial
[3] http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts/wiki/dev-util/bzr