[bcbirdclub] "starling invasion"

  • From: TRAVIS RATLIFF <heckofanurse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bird club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:06:03 -0500

hello all, over the past few days to a week the starlings begin coming in..
yesterday evening we probally had 50 or so in our yard.. which is the size of a
postage stamp!! they aren't eating nothing but my suet cakes.. i have 4 cages
and replacing at least 1 to 2 per day... they have run my downeys and bluejays
away.. this morning i got up around 9 as i was doing my well what kim calls my
"old man shuffle" though the kitchen, my first stop before the fridge for my
morning dt mt dew is of course the window... but this morning no birds!! well
one lonley bird was perched in the neighbors tree which i have claimed my tree
and added feeders!! lol  sat my first sharp shinned hawk!!!  i hope i idenified
him correct, with my new sibleys book.. he had 3 bands on his tail feathers,
could have been a coopers but in the book they have 4 bands... we are still
seeing great numbers of pine siskins,gold finches,chickadees,house
finches,mourning doves,cardinals. i built my first platform feeder that has
increased our numbers greatly... hope all is well and good luck this weekend at
burkes garden...wish i could make it,  but rcmc will be calling my name!!!
Travis