[bcbirdclub] Snowy Owl Trip Report - My First Short Story

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:23:02 -0500

Last Friday I returned home from work (Remember that Roger?) and after a
grueling week decided I needed to get away. Around 6:30 that night I started
recruiting people to go to Nashville to see the Snowy owl. My son Christian
and David Raines decided to try this crazy last minute scheme.

The next morning at 5:30 AM me, David, and Christian traveled to Spring Hill
TN to get a life bird and we were not disappointed. We arrived at the Saturn
plant where the Snowy owl had been spotted most frequently. We  were greeted
by severely cold conditions. The wind was blowing out of the NW, the exact
same direction in which the owl had been seen. When the owl made his first
appearance around 12:30 we greeted it with red tear-filled smiles and
knocking knees. It remained in place until around 4:30 PM when a misguided
man with a pocket camera somehow got into the Saturn compound and continued
to approach the bird until it departed. Luckily the crowd was only armed
with expletives which were profusely launched in his direction.

David's brother Jim, a Nashville resident, joined us about 10 minutes after
the bird was flushed. Jim never got to see the owl but he will return this
week for another chance. Cold, tired, frustrated, and hungry we did what any
self-respective birder would do; We retreated to Cracker Barrel and consumed
large quantities of food and coffee. Jim and David exchanged many stories of
their youth in Buchanan county. Christian and I enjoyed the stories and
almost stopped eating a couple of times to listen. It was good to listen to
the old-timers reminisce. (Got Ya Dave!). We located a hotel - checked in
and I slept like a stone.

The next morning we were back at the field at daybreak and greeted by a
brisk temperature of 19 degrees. After an hour or so with no luck David
remembered a small lake not far away that Jim and he had visited more than
10 years ago. It didn't take much convincing to get into the heated car and
start our journey. We arrived a few minutes later at Radnor lake where we
greeted by fabulous views of many species of ducks. There were 75-100 Canvas
Backs that afforded the largest number and closest views of this species I
had ever experienced. Hundreds of American Robins filled every nook and
cranny of the park and sang as if it were a spring day in April.

We had scheduled a noon departure from the flatlands and after about an hour
of enjoying the lake we headed back to the Saturn plant. Jim joined us for a
second chance. No luck. We were left with no choice but to eat again. After
a great meal at an mom and pop Italian restaurant we said our goodbyes and
hit the road. As we complied the trip list it became apparent the 50 species
could be had with a just a little more effort. With Dave navigating,
Tennessee Map in hand, it became clear we would pass over a large lake, J.
Percy Priest. With dreams of gulls we zipped off the motorway and found our
gulls plus a few more species. Quick apologetic calls were made to the
families as it became clear our scheduled 6 PM Tri-cities arrival would not
happen. We arrived in Bristol at 8:30 Sunday night and poor Dave fired up
his truck for two more hours of driving pleasure.

It was a great trip and I wish you all could have joined us. Here's the trip
list: (53 species)

American Goldfinch
American Black duck
American Coot