[bcbirdclub] Sparrows on Compton Mt

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "A Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:39:01 -0400

Hi All,
After getting a phone call from Dave Raines today about all of the birds he was
seeing, I decided to take a look at a couple of ponds here on the mountain and
at the Mountain Top golf course, which sometimes gets shorebirds dropping in
this time of the year. They come in to feed in the standing water that soon
soaks into the soil.
I found nothing on the ponds and no shore birds on the golf course but I did
find two Vesper Sparrows and one Savannah Sparrow on the golf course. They were
feeding on dandelion flowers with a flock of Goldfinches in the snow. The
Savannah was a new bird for this year's bird list.

At the feeders at home I had 28 Chipping Sparrows, which was a new high record
and one female Purple Finch. The great numbers of cowbirds are still around.

Don, I agree with Dave. Great waterthrush photo.