[bcbirdclub] Fwd: [blueridgebirders] Some Hummingbird questions [2 Attachments]

  • From: wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Buchanan Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:31:45 +0000 (UTC)

An answer from the hummer expert

----- Original Message -----

From: "Dwayne Martin" <redxbill@xxxxxxxxx>
To: wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Blue Ridge Birders" <blueridgebirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:11:17 PM
Subject: Re: [blueridgebirders] Some Hummingbird questions [2 Attachments]

The bump looks to me like just a lot of pollen collected on its bill. Yes,
those green feathers will be replaced with red feathers when he molts this
winter. I call that, their 5:00 shadow. Some older female Ruby-throats will
also get some green feathers in the throat area, but most never live to be old
enough to get those.

On Thursday, September 11, 2014, wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx [blueridgebirders] <
blueridgebirders-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I have some questions about this hummer I photographed at our farm today near
Galax:

1. What is the deal with the bump on the upper bill?

2. Are the scattered green feathers on the throat precursors of red feathers in
a juvenile male ruby throat?

Bill Dunson

__._,_.___
View attachments on the web