[bcbirdclub] thrushes, Grayson Co.

  • From: wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Buchanan Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 11:10:03 +0000 (UTC)

Lots of thrush calls from 9-9:30 am at our Baywood/Galax, VA, Farm in a wooded
area with lots of spicebush. Saw 4 wood thrushes & 3 Swainson's but only heard
calls of veery & maybe Gray-cheeked. Also 5 warbler species in same
trees/bushes:
2 magnolia
1 black-throated blue
1 redstart
C. yellowthroat
3 ovenbirds
Also 3+ brown thrashers, catbirds, plus towhees & pileated wp calling nearby
In a nearby cucumber magnolia loaded with fruit there was a young male
rose-breasted grosbeak among the brown thrashers, blue jays & a thrush or two.

We still have a fair number of indigo buntings, maybe 15, in fields behind our
home, males all in winter plumage now, and a ton of goldfinches, 40 or likely
more.

Kingfisher calling at pond.

Margaret Dunson
Galax, VA