[bcbirdclub] Compton Mt Birding

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:05:59 -0400

It was a beautiful day here on the mountain, and I was joined about 7:45 this
morning by fellow bird club members Don Carrier and Mike Sanders to see if we
could find some spring migrants. The Robins, Towhees, Brown Thrashers and
Titmice were in full voice when they arrived. On the way up the mountain they
had heard Blue-headed Vireos, and it was only a matter of minutes before one
was singing in the yard. Before we stopped birding around 12:30 we had 8
Blue-headeds. Another First of the Season for me was a Yellow-throated Warbler
in the yard. This one beat our early date for the county by two days. Bluebirds
and Tree Swallows were visiting nest boxes. Don and Mike had also found 7 Wild
Turkeys as they drove up that morning. We could hear one gobbling in the
neighbor's pasture. Later in the morning we birded the nearby golf course just
across the valley and found 14 turkeys on the fairway. One male was strutting
and spreading his tail. We were also pleasantly surprised to see 15 Northern
Flickers take flight from the fairway, and they were soon followed by 5 more.
We had 6 woodpecker species and both Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.
We logged 34 species for the day. The complete list follows.

34 species

Wild Turkey 23

Falcon 1 sp? (Possible Merlin)

Mourning Dove 1