[baisl] A film.. for new teachers on disadvantaged kids (disclaimer: I don't know it)

  • From: "Debbie Abilock" <dabilock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 06:57:28 -0700

We are pleased to share the latest great news about our feature-length
documentary film The New Public, which Joe Nocera of The New York Times
called "...a primer on how to teach disadvantaged students." (You can learn
more about the film on

The New Public website www.thenewpublicmovie.com
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013dMgI6S7fFpfBy9qmPvm3_KFHeku9gKDmCx5Hzl855RS
URyYsmoiUfvVBHlntdK-Zyg6IgcX_N3azk7yDfdd3D4sM4UZ4MsmOi_Moa9kbc0yv5JaknQdUPZJ
8gJMFPZqGNwcaua1Qz2-z-nrulJ-x2jbK72WBqK2sZxCyNXL0X_f9_cBT1FqvcFmWbE5cR33rSRe
LBUXHDVMpkDGCoYZ-OUlc6FPRsWK&c=-ZMCQfbLdOVTRr9sMDfMOHw7NmxgKrqriTybsO0CPqtQN
7Cqf56xYQ==&ch=En7YJubnyxCN1DvFAOPPFhakpppZyeRwPwnTa2eHxu0hEuCjO8cfeg==> )

Thanks to a generous grant from the Poses Family Foundation, matched by
services from Teacher's College, Columbia University, The New Public:
Educators Edition is now available from distributor Kino Lorber!

This edition of The New Public was specifically designed for educators of
new teachers. Ever since the film's release, we have heard stories about the
film's successful use in classrooms, especially with idealistic young people
and aspiring principals eager to take on the challenges of urban education.
Based on this anecdotal feedback, we were inspired to make The New Public
simple to use as an educational tool.

The New Public: Educators Edition was created by Teacher's College, Columbia
University, Professor Anand Marri and independent curriculum writer Brian
Crocco specifically for use in teacher training programs at the college and
postgraduate levels. The package includes a chapterized version of the film
and an accompanying discussion guide. The Educators Edition was designed to
minimize teacher prep time, first by identifying moments in the film that
can serve as case studies and then by suggesting the questions and themes
that emerge from them. The DVD makes those scenes accessible with a touch
of the hand.

An extensive outreach initiative alerting universities, colleges and other
teacher training programs about The New Public: Educators Edition is now
under way. We will also be evaluating the impact of this initiative and
reporting back on what we learn. Please spread the word that this exciting
educational tool is now available. By doing so you are helping this film
inspire our future teachers in the trenches!

If you or anyone you know is interested in The New Public: Educators Edition

and would like to order the package as an individual or an institution,
please contact Kino Lorber or Anthos Media (information below). A free
sampling period begins this month! We look forward to hearing from you.

Anthos Media and Jyllian Gunther

a.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:a.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

c.solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:c.solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Purchase online: kinolorberedu.com/newpublicteacher
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0013dMgI6S7fFpfBy9qmPvm3_KFHeku9gKDmCx5Hzl855RS
URyYsmoiURzvIn056LfD1baVLqGAg5eW3iQSCkkSDuZ_NTh8ByQC6ha-aixAFzorpSDY5Dip_isb
P9FKgxKeZvEgjloyzLvSDdVnSwApXN050b_g55WvfOzgrJyLxcgKGn2tKoSX41rLgHub8pJgA4pf
r8orWZA=&c=-ZMCQfbLdOVTRr9sMDfMOHw7NmxgKrqriTybsO0CPqtQN7Cqf56xYQ==&ch=En7YJ
ubnyxCN1DvFAOPPFhakpppZyeRwPwnTa2eHxu0hEuCjO8cfeg==>

(use offer code: NewPublicTeacher--offer expires September 1, 2015)

Orders/inquiries by phone: 212-629-6880 or email: edu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:edu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

best,

debbie