[aztec-devel] Changing the way functions are handled

  • From: "Phillip Martin" <pmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aztec-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:40:07 +1000

At the moment, all the processing of 'functions' i.e. Little bits of code
that actually achieve something in aztec, is occuring in the front end side
of things. I recall talking about changing this with a few people a while
ago, but I'm actually going to do it now.

Here are a list of changes that I am contemplating. Note that they wont be
done straight away, or maybe even at all.

- Move the managing of all the custom functions into AztecLib. This is so
scripting has easier access to them
- Change the calling of those custom functions from the front end to always
go through the java script interpreter. This way, any java script functions
also written and loaded can be executed just like any other function.
- Change the functions to optionally take a vector of MParameterObjectPtr's
as arguments to each function and to return an MParameterObjectPtr as a
return result. This way, we can pass things into functions, and since the
java script interpreter already has the capacity to handle these classes,
hopefully it wont be a lot of effort to handle mixing and matching java
script and c++ aztec functions.
- Make it so plugins can add in their own functions at run time, rather that
limiting that behaviour to the Aztec front end.
- Possibly move the java script interpreter into a separate dll, rather than
residing in the AztecLib project. This serves no purpose other than to
cleanly separate the two, not that they aren't separate now.

Any thoughts or comments?