[aztec-devel] Re: Changing the way functions are handled

  • From: Jordan Wilberding <diginux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aztec-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 00:03:50 -0500

> On Monday 08 July 2002 16:56, Phillip wrote:

<big snip>

> > Currently the Linux version of Aztec is doing things in a non-standard
> > way (when compiling).
> >
> > I would suggest to change that by making use of autoconf and all of
> > that stuff so you can ./configure [--prefix=/blah --blah=..], make and
> > make install to build + install Aztec on Linux.
> > This would also be more reliable since the configure script can check
> > everything needed to build Aztec, which means better compiling
> > conditions (I'm not sure if I should say it like that) and less people
> > complaining about compiling errors.
>
> I do not have the experience to change it. I based the whole build process
> on what we use at work, which served my purposes exactly. If it should be
> different, then go ahead and change it, because its not going to happen
> from my end :)  Jordan mentioned it a while ago, and all the technical
> mumbo jumbo just went over my head.

I agree with Richard. This is definately a future plan, I had kind of let it
go until we actually had a fully working Aztec on Linux, since I
doubt too many user besides us mess with Aztec on the Linux side
of things. But if you want to get the autoconf stuff going, I would be
glad to help.

> > One thing left to think about is the installation directory.. where
> > should it be installed by default?
> > (personally I would vote for /opt/Aztec )
>
> I have no idea. I'd ask my pet penguin, but I don't have one :)

I propose we follow the LSB (Linux Standard Base), and go by
whatever it says. I personally have never read the LSB yet so I am hoping
Richard knows this one !

Thanks!
Jordan Wilberding