[AZ-Observing] Re: urban SQLs?

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:46:38 -0400

--- Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> has always bothered me. For example, when I first got it I expected to
> see a huge difference in a moderately light polluted area compared to
> one that is like Dewey or a good dark sky site, but discovered the range
> was quite small.

The units that come out of the SQM are magnitudes per square arcsecond, which
are the same units that real pro astronomers use when they do surface
photometry.  When site surveying is done for observatories, they measure sky
brightness with the same scale as the SQM.

I, too, am frustrated by the narrow scale of the SQM, but I don't have a
suggestion for how to improve it.

Tom