[AZ-Observing] Re: urban SQLs?

  • From: "Keith Schlottman" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:53:07 -0700

I'm finding this an interesting discussion because I just acquired a SQM-LE
to monitor light conditions at my observatory.
Last night was the first night I used it.  Naturally the bright moon had a
significant effect.
I set up a simple web page to track it, the SQM takes a reading every 10
minutes.  I need to make some adjustments to the graph settings but if
you're interested in what the meter can do, see:
http://www.xanaduobservatory.com/monitor.htm
I previously had a handheld unit and found that in my Tucson backyard, the
darkest I could get was about 19.5 mag/arcsec^2.
I'm hoping to obtain data over a long period to watch the trends.  There is
quite a bit of construction going on in Tucson on the East side, including
plans for many street lights in the next few years.  I could get depressed
but it's still possible to enjoy the night sky, maybe not as much as from a
truly dark site but it's much more convenient in the back yard.
Clear Skies,
Keith Schlottman