[AZ-Observing] Re: [sac-forum] Re: az science center hour of darkness star party

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:48:31 -0700

Rosie and I watched the event from Maricopa, Stone Haven Observatory.  (I could
see 6 Pleiades through a calibrated 1' PVC pipe before, (but just barely),
during and after the event.)  The lights had no effect whatever on the skies
overhead, but we did notice a somewhat less bright 'notch' in the Phoenix
Nebula during the event.  I believe this was possible only because of our
distance and the profile of the metropolitan area taking up the entire north
horizon.  At first, we weren't sure it was real, but Rosie chimed up, 'Is that
area there somewhat less bright?'  An I confirmed it was.  By my watch, which
was calibrated to WWV last week, the dimming occurred at 7:58 pm MST and
brightened again at 8:58 pm MST.  I took some video of the event from the wall
of the rolloff observatory, but haven't looked at it yet.  I'll send another
report one way or the other later on.
  After the lights came back, we galloped around the skies with the 20' for a
few hours.  That was an eye opener, for sure, after so long using the C8!

Steve Dodder
President, Saguaro Astronomy Club
Director, Stone Haven Observatory
fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx