[AZ-Observing] Re: question from a friend about an observation between Orion and Monoceros

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:55:56 -0700

I like this explanation and it brings to mind an event a number of us
witnessed a few years ago at Sentinel at the Schwaar Star Gaze (2007 I
believe).

A "new" Orion nebula, fan-shaped, appeared and astounded all of us as
pretty much every piece of glass on the field was trained on it.  It was
quickly identified as a fuel dump from a booster for a geosynchronous
satellite insertion.   Pretty neat to watch it sit there as the sky
wheeled by.

And while it doesn't quite match up with Wes' friend's observation, Jeff
might be onto something...

Darrell Spencer