[AZ-Observing] Re: question from a friend about an observation between Orion and Monoceros

  • From: Jeff <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:26:24 -0700

Last year I was on a Houseboat trip on Lake Powell the middle of
October. At 8 PM it was very dark and clear and I went atop the
houseboat with my binoculars. I was surprised to see a very bright
light flashing similarly nearly overhead.
This was not a plane or satellite. It moved very slowly and flashed
about once a minute for over 15 minutes. The flash was long (probably
nearly a second building up and then down).

What I believe this was was a rocket body tumbling and reflecting
sunlight. If not, it was a new type of flashing star.

Jeff
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory
Counting Photons
Phoenix, Arizona USA