[AZ-Observing] question from a friend about an observation between Orion and Monoceros

  • From: Wes Edens <edensw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:10:58 -0700

A co-worker was out the other night in her yard in Cave Creek, and saw a
bright flash of light in the region of what she first described as Orion,
although when we looked at a star chart, she said it was more like
Monoceros.  She described it a flash at least as bright as nearby stars.  It
would flash, then repeat about 10 seconds later.  She watched it for some
time, and although it was moving, it was moving very slowly.   She went in
and got her husband up to see it.  She told me it moved about 1 1/2 degrees
in half an hour (described as a finger width and a half at arms length).
I checked Heavens Above for her, using her lat and long (33.78656,
-111.9453003) and the correct Arizona time setting (it was 01:00 MT, 08:00
UT Tuesday, Nov 2) and nothing showed up during that time (checked for sats,
ISS, HST, everything they offer).
Any ideas?  She's pretty certain it wasn't a plane, but a plane flying a
weird pattern at a distance with its headlight is about all I can think of.
She says that it moved in a linear fashion.
Googling around, there are a lot of reports of this type of thing in Orion,
but maybe that's just because Orion is a very recognizable constellation.
http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=flashing+light+orion
She asked me to put this out to the local astronomy community.
Thanks!
Wes