[AZ-Observing] more about those lights

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:25:21 -0700

After Richard's and Stan's comments, I guess I need to expand on the
details. Yes, that is an athletic field in that photo, so one might well
expect to see metal halides in use there for improved color rendition.
But according to the complainant, these additional banks were installed
to provide "security" for construction materials (copper wire, etc.)
stored in an area nearby. Presumably, the construction company that is
building out this subdivision figured the lights would be less expensive
than truly secure storage or hiring guards. And yes, I know a
municipality can overrule the county on lighting ordinances. That's what
Phoenix did with electronic billboards. But they cannot overrule the
ARS. And ARS 49-7 states that even at athletic facilities, the lights
have to go off between midnight and dawn. These are on all night, dusk
to dawn.  -Dan Heim