[AZ-Observing] Re: Worlds shortest star party

  • From: "Bernie Sanden" <bsanden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:03:51 -0700

I'll take the blame for this one.  The last three times I've driven my
(uncovered) truck bed with foam padding to a site, it's poured (the last two
"sites" were camping sites, but it still counts).

 This is the first time my scope had to endure the deluge, as well.  I guess
it really is time for a camper shell, which I've been avoiding for years.  I
escaped the worst of the downpour (and lightning) by spending half an hour
under the overpass bridge at the Sentinel exit.

Steve Coe, Dave Fredrickson, and I ended up staring at a sucker-hole sky
after dinner at (gasp) the Space Age Lodge restaurant in Gila Bend (home of
the November 13th Shrimp Festival), but were well aware of the prospects for
heavy dew once clearing began due to the very damp conditions back at
Sentinel.  I almost stopped at Vekol on the way back, but noticed the damp
road conditions there, as well.

A four-hour round trip with no scope observing at all has to be the worst
outing for me in as long a time as I can recall.  I'd have to agree that it
was the shortest star party I've ever attended.  Still, it was fun hanging
out at the Space Age, so all was not lost, of course.

Now maybe by Sunday night it will start clearing out....

- Bernie