[AZ-Observing] Re: Will you be able to convince the judge you were aiming at a star?

  • From: George Barber <gbarber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:26:03 -0700

I question whether this person knew his father, and suggest that his
mother was actually a female canine.  Ignorant fools like these make the r
est of us suffer.  There is NO way by the laws of physics that this could
be accomplished in a normal star party environment, unless you are in the
practice of having your party near the flight line of aircraft landing and
taking off, and then point out only the objects nearest the horizon. After
all, where are the windows on a jet liner?  I am sure all of you
understand the mathematics of the angles involved for this incident to
occur.  But, mark my words, WE will be the ones who will have to pay when
the ignorant lame-brained legislators knee-jerk and ban green laser
pointers or some other such nonsense.
Things like this make me furious!  Lock him up?  NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HIM.
I say we put him in stocks in the public square, and flog him thoroughly.
Then, teach him a thing or two about how to be a responsible member of a
society while you are at it.

We let far too many lawbreakers get away with all kinds of evil.

George

From:
stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
11/03/2009 09:39 AM
Subject:
[AZ-Observing] Will you be able to convince the judge you were aiming at a
star?
Sent by:
az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOS ANGELES - A Southern California man who aimed a laser beam at two
airliners as they approached an airport has been sentenced to 2 ½ years in
federal prison for disrupting the flights.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles says Dana Christian Welch of
Orange, who was sentenced Monday, was the first person in the nation to be
convicted at trial of interfering with pilots by aiming lasers at their
planes.

Authorities say the 37-year-old aimed a handheld laser at two Boeing jets
as the passenger planes were about to land at John Wayne Airport on the
night of May 21, 2008.

The laser beam struck one pilot in the eye, causing "flash blindness," and
interfered with pilots' ability to land the other plane.