[AZ-Observing] Re: Where to head for the May 20th eclipse

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 23:06:14 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 Stan, For someone not going to the annular eclipse you have
sure been busy leading a one-person discussion about it! Anyway, it's been
pretty good stuff and actually your discussion nearly lead to an interesting
observation about different ways to observe an annular (or really any) eclipse.
There are many interesting phenomena to observe when someone is watching an
eclipse: prominences, shadow bands, diamond ring, planets/stars near the
eclipse, etc. One other interesting event (I'm sure there are many others) that
occurs are Baily's Beads. These are seen shortly after/before (depending
whether you're looking during ingress or egress) the edge of the moon and sun
skim by each other, and the effect is momentary. However, if you go to a site
where the edge of the moon and the sun skim by each other at a northern or
southern limit of the eclipse path then you can have an extended view of
Baily's Beads lasting for many minutes rather than for several seconds. You may
have that opportunity at your place near Prescott. I don't have the exact
coordinates for where the northern and southern grazing paths are, but I'm sure
you might be able to glean that information from what you've been exploring or
maybe even go to the Association for Lunar and Planetary Observatory (ALPO).
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)