[AZ-Observing] Re: Where to head for the May 20th eclipse

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:13:09 -0700

I just checked the timing of the sun and it is well above the mountains
to the west of me at maximum eclipse time for Prescott. About 27 minutes
after maximum eclipse the west limb of the sun makes contact with the
mountain to the west of me. This means the eclipse will still be visible
from my location for 27 minutes past maximum. This This is plenty good
for me and so I will be observing the eclipse at my place in Dewey (7
miles from Prescott in a straight line, almost due east of Prescott)
instead of traveling hundreds of miles. The schedule that was brought to
our attention says the % obscuration at Page will be 87.3%. At Prescott
it will be 85.2%. The percent obscuration for Prescott is about mid way
between Phoenix and Page. The schedule has some images of what the
annular eclipse will look like for Phoenix and Page. Since Prescott is
midway, could that mean from Prescott the annular will look like the
image for Page that is just prior to the maximum for Page? In that one,
the moon just barely clears the edge of the sun. Does anyone have any idea?
Stan