[AZ-Observing] Re: Was Saturday Great or What???

  • From: ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:29:26 -0700 (MST)

Brian-
I've not taken many wide field shots with digital cameras, but it seems
that the jpeg compression would really kill your resolution and limiting
magnitude.  There are a bucketload of stars in that image, yet only a 1mb
file, so the star images are significantly undersampled, with blocky stars
and compression artifacts.  Generally speaking, since he was shooting a
stop slower than I, but exposed a little over twice as long as my typical
single exposure, I'd expect a comparable limiting exposure, limited by the
above-mentioned resolution loss.  Oh, I forgot Keith shot at an ISO of 400
and I was 2 stops faster at 1600...  So what is the "secret" to moderate
resolution wide-field shots - 25mb Tiff images?

-Dean