[AZ-Observing] Re: Viewing the Annular

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 16:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

I've been preparing for the eclipse today and made some welder's glass viewers,
a homemade filter using Baader Astrosolar film for my little 3" refractor and
even a pinhole viewer for fun.

I was surprised with the great view with the Baader film. The large group was
very impressive and detailed. The limb of the sun showed a lot of interesting
light and lighter detail especially near a pair of smaller spots. I didn't
count all the spots but there were quite a few.

I've never been much of a solar viewer. At most I used projection with the
little refractor. I've done this rarely to see a major spot or partial eclipse,
and I viewed the last Mercury transit this way. So the details today were
impressive.

Joe Larkin