[AZ-Observing] Re: Viewing the Annular

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 09:19:52 -0700

Thanks, Tom. Since you will be using the Lunt, I feel more comfortable.
I purchased the Lunt Wedge about 6(?) months ago. I called Lunt and made
sure there would be no problem with a 5" refractor getting the wedge too
hot and was told there would be no problem  I was uncertain about the
claim of superiority (not by Lunt, but others) over the Thousand Oaks
filter in detail that can be seen and so I also purchased it and
compared the two. It does appear the Lunt has a slight edge over the
Oaks. BTW, if anyone purchases a Thousand Oaks filter for a small
refractor, start out putting a small amount of the felt on the inside of
the aluminum housing. I made the mistake of putting too much and
couldn't get the filter on the end of the telescope. I had a heck of a
job working loose the felt (because of the adhesive back) with a cloth
and rubbing alcohol.
Stan