[AZ-Observing] Re: Viewing the Annular

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 12:05:19 -0400

---- Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am embarrassed to be so ignorant. Am I correct in assuming the Lunt
> Wedge or the Thousand Oaks solar filter on a 5" refractor will work
> "good" at maximum eclipse, where 85% of the sun light will be covered by
> the moon? It seems these filters should work because we are observing
> intensity, not flux, but I wonder how well they will work to see Baily
> (misspelled?) beads and in general just the sliver of sunlight clearing
> the moon's disk.

I just purchased a Lunt 1 1/4" solar wedge in the past month.  In addition to a
wedge being the superior white-light filter, it has the added benefit of
tunable brightness.  Without a polarizer, the sun is a bit uncomfortably bright
for visual use, but can be easily dimmed to a better level by rotating an
eyepiece with a polarizer in it.  During annularity, I am anticipating that I
will have the polarizer rotated to a brighter setting, since the limb of the
sun is so much fainter than the center.

Tom