[AZ-Observing] Re: Tucson Area Observing Sites

  • From: "Peg & Sam" <peg.sam2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:14:15 -0700

My opinion is based on the greatest values of a good observing site as being
dark, and easy to access. That being said, another problem with viewing in
Whipple area is the proximity to Nogales, AZ, and Nogales, Sonora, Mexico.
Though not too bad, the light domes prevent this from being considered a
really good dark site. Also the observing area near the Whipple Visitors
Center is nestled in amongst some pretty high mountains. The views to the
north and north west are o.k., but not what I would consider to be truly
dark because of Green Valley's impact.

Las Cienegas has very good southern, eastern, and western sky views. Even
though Tucson is 50 miles north, the light dome is significant.

A further drive east to the Chiricahua Mountains offers some of the darkest
sky observing in the state. The Echo Canyon parking lot is easy to access
and will accommodate 15 - 20 vehicles / scopes. There is a large hill to the
west of the parking lot which limits some of that part of the sky. Seeing
can be iffy at times, but the skies are really dark. I think the elevation
is around 7,000 feet so dress accordingly.

If you have anyone in your group who are members of TAAA then you can try
the TIMPA site west of Tucson. Views to the north, west, and south are o.k.,
but the site is fairly close to Tucson and one is constantly reminded of
that fact.

Andrew Cooper's list of S. Az observing sites is quite good and should be
consulted: http://www.siowl.com/

Sam
http://www.balinka.com/astronomy.htm