[AZ-Observing] Re: Tucson Area Observing Sites

  • From: Michael Terenzoni <miket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:17:31 -0700

Bill,
I second what Steve said. The advantage of Astronomy Vista is you
have no direct lights. This is great for times of the year where you
don't want to point way down south. For those times it's a very good
site.

Years ago the TAAA used to go in the desert between Arivaca and
Amado, about 20 minutes N/NW in on dirt roads. Problem was then the
dirt roads were not good, but drive-able. I've not been there in
about 10 years so I don't know what the roads are like but it's a
mute point as the problem now is our border situation in that area
(as a friend of mine who is an area supervisor for the Border Patrol
has told me).

Las Cienegas (Empire Ranch) is your best bet but even it apparently
has illegal traffic from time to time at night (as my Border Patrol
supervisor friend told me about 5 years ago, though I have yet to
hear of any encounters there). TAAA uses that site regularly and
they've not had any problems.

Clear skies,

Mike Terenzoni

Michael Terenzoni     (520) 621-3646   fax: (520) 621-8451
Astronomy Coordinator    miket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Flandrau Science Center  Visit our web site: http://www.flandrau.org
1601 E. University Blvd.
The University of Arizona