[AZ-Observing] Re: Transit of Venus

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 21:12:03 -0500 (EST)

Weather permitting, we'll get to see much of the transit in Arizona.   Just
as with this Saturday's total lunar eclipse, and next May's annular solar
eclipse, the main event is interrupted by the horizon.  Both the annular
eclipse and the Venus transit will be in progress at sunset, and the moon will
 set in eclipse at dawn on Saturday.

For the coordinates of my back yard north of Tucson, the Venus transit
times I get are:

Date: June 5, 2012
Transit starts: 3:12 PM
Sunset:  7:25 PM (includes refraction adjustment)
Transit ends: 9:45 PM

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/4/2011 4:43:19 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The  January issue of Sky & Telescope has a couple of articles on the
transit  of Venus. The next one is next June. The following one will be 115
year
later.  So, most likely this will be the last chance anone alive today will h
ave to  view it. I made a trip to NYin 2004 to view the transit then. I was
not  disappointed.
See:
http://www.hposoft.com/Astro/Venus%20Transit/Venus%20Transit.html

Has  anyone made any plans for the event? I will probably set up my 8" LX
90 with a  full aperture solar filter as well as my little 60 mm ETX 60 with
filter (this  is what I used in NY).

Jeff
Hopkins Phoenix  Observatory
(187283)